Default MV Carpe Vita - Maldives Trip Report

MV Carpe Vita Liveaboard Dive Travel - Maldives Trip Report

I was invited to join a trip on MV Carpe Vita and was very glad I joined.

The Liveaboard
    The MV Carpe Vita is a luxury 38 meter long motor safari yacht with a wooden hull. She has a total of 10 cabins and can cater for a maximum of 20 divers providing dive and surfing trips year round in the Maldives. I have been on lots of liveaboards worldwide and in the Maldives as well. I can say without hesitation that this one of the nicest liveaboards I have ever been on. From the boat to service provided, this is a top notch operation. The bedrooms are enormous, even in the standard rooms. The bathrooms are the biggest I have ever seen on a liveaboard and are truly world class. The boat has 4 levels and 3 decks. There is a sun deck with very nice patio furniture and a jacuzzi too.

Food is served throughout the day with plentiful amounts and a very qualified chef. The chef creates western, asian and local dishes every day and can say without hesitation that everything served on board was delicious. His desert capabilities are way up there as well. The general crew on the boat from the captain to the room cleaning crew are very nice, interested in where you are from and generally smiling all the time. The bartender is full of smiles and helpful always!

The Dhoni
    Generally in the Maldives liveaboards use dhoni's. I have seen a few liveaboards not use a dhoni and opt for inflatables instead, not a good idea. Dhonis are used to access dive sites with a low draft and shallow hull that the liveaboard cannot access. Their dhoni is extremely spacious and has an enormous dive deck for jumping off into dive sites. There is ample space on the roof for enjoying the sun and or spotting whale sharks. The most impressive thing for me was the fact that it had an enormous bathroom with a hot water shower. Enormous bathrooms seem to be a norm with the mighty MV Carpe Vita and their dhoni.

The Dive Crew/Boat Crew

Having visited the Maldives many times, I have been lucky enough to dive with many people and dive guides. I can assure you without hesitation that this dive crew on MV Carpe Vita are some of the best. All local guys who have been diving for many years in their own country/atolls. They all know the sites and what to look for at each thila/dive site. If you are lucky like I was, my dive guide assigned to me was a man by the name of Panda. Probably the best dive guide I ever had in the Maldives and one of the best I have ever had. Panda does not just guide you on dive sites, but is using many local techniques in which to get the sharks up from the deep and make schools of fish run around you in a frenzy. Finding big and small things for this guy is very easy and he seems to have a ton of fun doing it!

Some boats have crew that is trained in service, but the entire crew on MV Carpe Vita seem to have service and a smile inherent in them.

The Diving
    This trip covered the North Male Atoll, North Ari Atoll, South Ari Atoll & Vaavu Atoll. All guests were very lucky to see plenty of mantas, sharks and a whale shark during their trip. Dive sites were, KurumbaBeyru, Lankan Beyru, Sun Light Thila, Baru Faru, Rasdhoo Madivaru, Fish Head, Maya Thila, Maya Lagoon, Hafsa Thila, Emmas Thila (my favorite), Moofushi Rock, Dhigga Thila, Bodu Finolhu Thila, Dhihdhoo Beyru, Kudhima Wreck, Holiday Thun'du, Alimatha Jetty, Miyaru Kandu & Kuda Boli.

If you have never been to the Maldives or have been before, I can assure you booking with MV Carpe Vita is not only a great choice, but you would be hard pressed to find another operator with such a nice boat and the superior service of staff/crew. All guests were extra happy during departure time as the liveaboard, scuba diving, food and general service is world class.

I hope to get back to the Maldives again someday soon. You should as well...

More information and reservations ->

Jamie Connor
    Owner - www.DiveGuide.com

Great review Jamie, the Carpe Vita looks beautiful on the ocean like that. I hope to sail on it this year.